5 Steps You Need To Take To Protect Your Business

5 Steps You Need To Take To Protect Your Business

Cyber attacks are on the rise everywhere. Just last year, operating firms in Singapore incurred S$23.8b economic losses to cyber attacks. The threat is real especially here in Singapore as we move towards becoming a digital nation. In light of this, firms need to step up the security measures they are taking or have not taken to protect themselves from being the next victim of a cyber attack.

protect

A cyber attack refers to any form of destructive acts that target information systems, servers or computers. The act is done by exploiting loopholes in a network or altering a system. One reason why cyber attacks so popular is because they are more successful than physical crimes. It is often challenging to track and catch cybercriminals since cyber attacks happen remotely.

Direct losses from the loss of affected files or productivity due to downtime make up 10% of total losses. Indirect or induced losses due to a loss of customers’ confidence and reputational losses make up the other 90%.

“The economic loss from cyberattacks for Asia Pacific as a whole was US$1.75 trillion (S$2.3 trillion) in 2017” – Channel NewsAsia

 

1. Backup your data

The more frequent you schedule a backup, the less vulnerable it is for malware to attack your systems. However, hackers are still able to lock mapped files in the case of a ransomware attack. This means that any USB thumb-drive that you have assigned a letter to are at a risk of being attacked. To avoid losing essential data, get an external hard disk or backup services to backup your data.

2. Update your software regularly

Cybercriminals are working hard to exploit software loopholes and vulnerabilities. To minimize cyber attacks, software updates that come with better security features help identify and patch such vulnerabilities. It is therefore important to update your software regularly. But at the same time, cybercriminals have a tendency to disguise malware as software updates so do opt for an automatic software update.

3. Educate your staff

Your employees who are not IT trained may not understand the risks associated with suspicious email or web attachments. Teach your staff to practice proper security habits the moment they join your company to protect your servers and computers. If you are not sure how to go about doing it, we are here to help.

4. Install an Anti-Virus software

Anti-virus software provides real-time protection where they can quickly scan your system to detect and remove infected files or programs. You are also able to schedule virus scans for your computer, making it easy for frequent detection. Furthermore, an anti-virus software has the ability to scan any internal hard drive or removable media connected to the computer.

5. Adopt a Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery plan

More often than not, companies realize the importance of a Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery (BCDR) plan only after a disaster strikes. BCDR plans are measures to help businesses prepare for disruptive events. These plans can help to reduce damages that companies might face when a technical, natural or human error disaster strikes.

 

Cyber attacks can happen anytime, anywhere. Don’t wait until an attack happens, Let us help you protect your business today.

[caldera_form id=”CF5b022d59d8137″]

Related Post

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Bitnami